Movement as detox
Here’s hoping that March comes in like a lion really quickly, and that the “out like a lamb” part arrives early! Who else is ready for Spring?
Previous March posts have focused on detoxifying our bodies through dry brushing and breathing, and this time let’s look at how the GYROTONIC EXPANSION SYSTEM® can enhance our natural detoxification process.
As a recap, removing toxins from our bodies keeps our immune systems strong, improves our digestion, and increases our energy. We detoxify via our lungs, skin, liver, colon, and kidneys. You can read about detoxifying through our lungs with the Pilates breath here and detoxifying through the skin with dry brushing here.
The last three organs (liver, colon and kidneys) are all organs found in the lower torso, and play an important role in toxin release. Along with the breaking down fats, the liver is responsible for removing toxins from our blood, so good circulation is important. The kidneys balance our electrolytes and filter out waste, and toxins are also eliminated via the colon.
One of the best ways to ensure that our body’s detoxification organs are kept healthy is through movement and breath, which we do in both the GYROTONIC® and GYROKINESIS® work.
Ways the GYROTONIC EXPANSION SYSTEM® detoxifies our bodies:
– The hallmark arch and curl we find in the GYROTONIC EXPANSION SYSTEM® creates space for our internal organs. The front body and back body are kept equally open on either side of the spine.
– Certain exercises, such as the “kidney stretch” and the tapping of the kidneys in the GYROKINESIS® method draw attention to the kidney area.
– Through the use of the “squeezing breath”, our lungs and internal organs of our torsos are toned. The “ocean breath” of the wave series promotes detoxification as we breathe out.
– The pulsation series, and its corresponding breath, improves our circulation by delivering oxygen and other important nutrients to our entire body.
– The rhythmical movement follows our bodies’ natural bony rhythms, and stimulates the circulatory, digestive, respiratory, lymphatic, and musculoskeletal systems. Particularly, our blood and lymphatic fluid are allowed to move freely throughout our bodies thus eliminating toxins and waste.
– Spirals help to awaken our digestive system, gently massaging and wringing out our internal organs.
Have you ever thought of how your exercise choices affect your internal organs? Do you think of using your breath as a means to release toxins? The next time you are in the studio, think about your movement initiating from the inside out, supporting not only your joints and muscles, but your organs as well!
GYROTONIC®, GYROKINESIS® and GYROTONIC EXPANSION SYSTEM® are registered trademarks of Gyrotonic Sales Corp and are used with their permission.
Disclaimer: The content of this blog is for informational purposes only, and is the sole property of Flow Pilates & Movement. I am not a doctor or a registered dietician, and this blog’s content is not intended as medical advice. Please consult your doctor if you have any concerns regarding your exercise routine or diet. The content of this blog may contain links to other websites. Flow Pilates & Movement is not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of any third party.